(COLUMBUS, OHIO) — The Association of Horticulture Professionals (OFA) and the American Nursery and Landscape Association (ANLA) have voted in overwhelming support of the consolidation of the two organizations into a new, national trade association to serve the entire horticulture industry. The announcement on September 28 followed a 30-day open ballot and an in-person vote for OFA’s members, held in Columbus, Ohio.
The new trade association, named the American Horticulture Association, will be known as AmericanHort, and will begin operations by January 1, 2014. The mission of AmericanHort is to unite, promote and advance our industry through advocacy, collaboration, connectivity, education, market development, and research.
The new organization will represent the whole of the plant industry, including breeders, greenhouse and nursery growers, garden center retailers, distributors, interior and exterior landscape professionals, florists, students, educators, researchers, manufacturers, and all of those who are part of the industry supply chain. The association will have its primary office in Columbus, Ohio and an office in Washington, DC to facilitate government relations and research activities.
The Board includes the following leaders:
- Chairman of the Board — Mark Foertmeyer, Foertmeyer & Sons Greenhouse, Delaware, Ohio
- Vice Chairman of the Board — Dale Deppe, Spring Meadow Nursery Inc, Grand Haven, Michigan
- Treasurer — Lisa Graf, Graf Growers, Akron, Ohio
- Past Chairman of the Board — Mike McCabe, McCabe’s Greenhouse & Floral, Lawrenceburg, Indiana
- Past Chairman of the Board — Bob Terry, Fisher Farms, Gaston, Oregon
- President & CEO — Michael V. Geary, CAE, AmericanHort, Columbus Ohio/Washington DC
- Joe Burns, Color Burst, Grayson, Georgia
- Terri Cantwell, Bates Sons & Daughters Inc, Lake Placid, Florida
- Tom Demaline, Willoway Nurseries Inc, Avon, Ohio
- Bob Jones Jr, The Chef’s Garden, Huron, Ohio
- Terri McEnaney, Bailey Nurseries Inc, St Paul, Minnesota
- Dan Mulhall, Mulhall’s Nursery, Omaha, NE
- Morris Newlin, New Garden Landscaping & Nursery, Greensboro, North Carolina
- Cari Peters, JR Peters Inc, Allentown, Pennsylvania
- Sid Raisch, Horticultural Advantage, Hillsboro, Ohio
Questions or comments about the consolidation efforts may be directed to their chief staff executive, Michael Geary, CAE, at firstname.lastname@example.org.